Job Title: After School Care Assistant
Appointed by: Principal
Reporting to: Principal
Contract Type: Permanent
Hours: 2:30-5:30 Monday-Friday
Commencing: January 2024
Milkwood Steiner School is situated on Larrakia land (Darwin), in the tropical north of Australia delivering a Steiner Curriculum to 100 students from Kindergarten to Class 8. Our school has unique large tropical style buildings with classrooms that open out on to broad verandas, with a playground that extends to a beautiful native bushland. We are a thriving, growing school, with a welcoming community and children from diverse cultural backgrounds. Our College of Teachers are committed to applying the richness of a Steiner Education to the unique cultural and environmental context of Australia’s Top End.
Milkwood Steiner School recognises the different needs of families in our community, and offers a holistic After School Care program which aligns with the school’s values. The After School Care Assistant is a person who loves working actively, creatively and responsively with children, who is capable of working under the direction of the After School Care Coordinator. They support a program for a children aged 5-13, comprising some who attend regularly and some who access the service only occasionally. The person in this role enjoys supporting meaningful activities for this multi-age group, and have the confidence and skills to supervise groups of children independently (with the ASC Coordinator nearby). Milkwood’s After School Care room is used by a range of programs during school hours, including parent groups, workshops, playgroups.
Indigenous applicants are strongly encouraged to apply.
Applications for select days are welcome (eg. Monday-Wednesdays only) as a job share will be considered for this role.
Following the direction of the ASC Coordinator, support an enriching, Steiner-inspired After School Care program.
Provide supervision and duty of care for children after school hours in ways that embody the values, ethos, policies and best practice of Milkwood Steiner School.
Work effectively with the ASC Coordinator, the Principal and other staff at Milkwood Steiner School.
Support the ASC coordinator in managing efficient use of indoor and outdoor spaces, allowing the children space for play.
Maintain accurate records of incidents, behaviour and mandatory reporting as required.
Communicate effectively with parents when required.
Attend relevant meetings at the discretion of the Principal.
Care for the classroom and grounds, ensuring that the aesthetics, layout and management of the room reflect the cultural values of Milkwood Steiner School and support the space’s other uses.
- A love for children and a commitment to the principles of Steiner Education
- Experience working with children
- Skills to support on a child-focused Steiner ASC program, including skills in behaviour management.
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with colleagues and community including demonstrated skills in communication.
- Valid First Aid qualification and an Ochre Card.
- Specialist subject area training, skills, strengths or interests (arts, crafts, gardening, games, cooking, etc)
- Training or experience in a Steiner setting, or an interest in further development in areas of Steiner Education
- Any ‘over-preschool age’ qualification approved for work with children from an accredited Higher Education Provider/registered training organization. See list of approved qualifications: https://www.acecqa.gov.au/sites/default/files/2018-01/ACECQAApprovedQualificationListOSHC.pdf
Applications to firstname.lastname@example.org by 3pm, 8 December
- CV + 2 referees
- Cover Page addressing the selection criteria
- Evidence of qualifications / certificates as required
We are seeking enthusiastic, flexible and caring teachers to join our teaching team on a casual basis. You must be a registered teacher in the NT to work at Milkwood. Please email email@example.com with a letter of introduction, CV, TRB number, Ochre Card and 2 references.
Relief Support Staff
Relief support staff are needed to work as casual Teacher Assistants, Playgroup Leaders, After School Care Leaders and Assistants, and in Administrative roles. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with a letter of introduction, CV, Ochre Card and 2 references.